Wednesday 11 September 2013

Recipe: Elderberry Cordial

While I was on a residential in Ristedt two weeks ago, the pupils went crazy picking elderberries.  I didn't allow them to eat them at the time - I wanted to make sure that they were definitely elderberries for one thing - the last thing we needed on that trip was a bad case of food poisoning!

Anyway, I brought the elderberries home with me and Nico made them into a lovely juice which I shared with the class this week.  He was so inspired he went collecting himself and wee now have two more bottles sat in our kitchen!

Here's how to do it:

Ingredients:

  • Elderberries
  • Water
Instructions:

  1.  Place the berries in a pan in 1cm of water.  
  2. Simmer the pan on low for roughly three hours.
  3. Strain the mixture through a sieve (or a cloth if you don't like 'bits').
  4. Funnel into a bottle. 
We like to enjoy ours warm - perfect for the new autumn season.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment